In my TCOM 631 production class we were given the option to either complete a series of software tutorials or learn a new skill. Being that I’ve been on a bit of a DIY electronics kick as of late I wanted to try my hand at making a ribbon microphone. I’ve never built a ribbon mic before so I decided to start with a DIY kit in order to eliminate unnecessary complicatons. I ordered my DIY ribbon microphone kit from DIYRIBBONMIC.COM and it arrived today. I plan on assembling this bad boy in the next couple of days.
Today I placed an order for a 100′ spool of balanced audio cable and a number of connectors. I want to be able to make cables and adapters in-house rather than purchase them. I’m doing this for 2 main reasons. The first of which being, I can save money. Secondly, I’m tired of trying to make pre-determined cable lengths work when it is clear that I need a more custom length. That being said, I spent a few hours organizing the studio workshop today in preparation for the new cable-making workload. After doing some research I think I have a fairly good understanding about how to assemble the various cables and connectors that I will be using on a regular basis.
After watching a number of video tutorials on how to make audio cables I began to make mental notes on how to set up my work space. I have a plethora of timber in the garage so I decided to use some to create a soldering station. This is the 80% finished product. I still have to install a few metal plates. Alas, it’s not going to win any beauty contests but it’s ultra functional.